Do-Not-Disturb service from MTN was as a result of NCC mandatory policy giving to all Telecommunication operators in Nigeria to introduce a Do-Not-Disturb (DND) service to all customers, effective from tomorrow July 1, 2016.
The Do-Not-Disturb service allows MTN customers to opt out of receiving promotional messages for 3rd Party services (Bulk SMS, VAS promos, etc)
What are the main features of DND?
The service will feature the following:
Fully Blocked mode allowing customers to Opt Out totally from receiving promotional messages via SMS and IVR.
Partially Blocked mode allowing customers to filter service categories for promotional messages they wish to receive. Any category not selected is blocked.
The service is free to customers.
Customers can opt into the service by sending an SMS Keyword to the DND short code 2442.
To opt in for full blocking mode via SMS, the customer will send the keyword “STOP” to the short code 2442.
As soon as the customer sends the keyword to 2442, the system will insert the customer’s number in the DND database, and apply the full blocking option to the customer’s profile.
Upon completion of the DND opt-in process, the customer will receive an SMS notification, containing the DND web portal link and other SMS options e.g.
“You have successfully activated the Do-Not-Disturb service on your line. Please visit https://mtnonline.com/donotdisturb or SMS HELP to 2442 to see more filtering options. You can also opt out at any time by sending ALL SMS to 2442”
Do-Not-Disturb service from MTN
If the customer sends HELP to 2442, s/he will receive a notification showing the available categories:
STOP: To stop all SMS
ALLOW: To receive all SMS
SMS 1: To receive Banking / Insurance/ Financial Products SMS
SMS 2: To receive Real Estate SMS
SMS 3: To receive Education SMS
SMS 4: Health SMS
SMS 5: To receive Consumer goods & Automobiles SMS,
SMS 7: To receive Tourism & Leisure SMS
SMS 8: To receive Sport SMS
SMS 9: To receive Religion SMS
STATUS: To check your DND status
– A customer will be able to perform the following DND activities via SMS
– View Status – By texting STATUS to 2442
– Activate full blocking – By texting STOP to 2442
– Activate partial blocking – By texting SMS x to 2442. Where x is the service category to be allowed/whitelisted, as listed above.
– Opt out of DND – By texting ALLOW to 2442
Customers can register for the service via the web, by visiting the DND web portal; https://mtnonline.com/donotdisturb
– Customers will be able to carry out the following over the web portal on Do-Not-Disturb service from MTN
- View Status
- Activate full blocking
- Activate partial blocking
- Modify partial blocking
- Opt out of DND
– Customers will be able to whitelist or blacklist words or phone numbers via the portal.
– Customers will still be able to receive promotional messages from any category(s) s/he whitelists.
To opt out of the service, the customer will send the word “ALLOW” in an SMS to the short code 2442.
– To opt-out is free.
To check status, a customer will need to text the key word STATUS to 2442